Harvard Club of Naples Schools Committee
Harvard Club of Naples
2019 Annual Meeting
Schools Committee Report
- We are pleased to announce that four local seniors have been admitted to the Class of 2023! These outstanding students include: Leeandre Alexandre (Golden Gate), Michelle Stegawski (Gulf Coast), Michael Mizell (Gulf Coast), and Jackie George (Gulf Coast). This is the first year that three students from the same Collier high school have been admitted.
- We received 35 applications in total from Collier County this year. This is equal to Collier’s average number of applicants for the past seven years. We only received four early action applicants, which was the same number we saw last year. Prior to last year, we were averaging about eight early applicants per year. We are trying to determine if this new lower number of early action candidates is an anomaly or the beginning of a trend.
- Our average admit rate for the past seven years has been 8.0%, or an average of three local students per year. This is well above Harvard’s overall average acceptance rate this year of 4.5%. We are pleased that our local students have consistently outperformed the average. Hopefully, this trend continues in the future.
- This year we gained permission from the Admissions Committee to experiment with using videoconference technology in our admissions interviews. Four recent College graduates with ties to Naples participated on our Schools Committee even though they live in other cities. Our results for this trial were quite positive. We’re hoping that going forward we can keep our local graduates engaged by enlisting them into our Committee on a regular basis.
- One of the best recruiting tools seems to be our spring event for high achieving juniors. This has been held in early June every year for the past eight years. During the reception, we provide insight to our local students on how to make their applications as strong as possible. We are excited to announce that this year Kari-Elle Brown, an officer on the Admissions Committee, will be participating in our spring event!
- Finally, if any members of the Harvard Club graduated from the College and would like to participate on the Schools Committee, please reach out directly to Pat George at email@example.com. Thank you.
-Patrick George, Chair